I love Canadian Thanksgiving! How many families get three large turkey dinners in three consecutive months? Ever since moving to the States, Canadian Thanksgiving has become my thing. Mom didn't want to cook two big thanksgiving meals every year and I couldn't stand the thought of not celebrating it, so I said I would do it. It is one of my most treasured traditions! Ever since Brian and I got married, we have seen a slightly different group of people at our table each year. It ALWAYS includes my parents and usually my brother and his wife, but the other personalities have varied depending on the year. We really wanted to find something that would become more permanent. It is important to me that Caleb really understand that he is half Canadian and that this holiday becomes something that he comes to love and anticipate. So we hit on what we believe to be a genius idea! After the big meal with my family (this year it was us, Grammy, Pop and Uncle Matt) we hosted an Open House for our beloved friends! We baked up MANY yummy treats to share and had a blast. I didn't take any pictures. Why not? Don't know. Sorry. I got pictures of the food though! It was fun! HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING!
My little chef is always at hand! We made shortbread cookies shaped like maple leaves (thanks for the cookie cutter Aunt Lorrie!).
I dove into turkey cake balls. I tried. They're okay. Couldn't find red hearts for the turkey wattle, so I used pink. I love pink.
Caleb and I made Rice Krispie pumpkins (with a chocolate surprise inside). I keep finding recipes for fun Rice Krispie treats in my Food Network magazines. They are so much fun to do with Caleb. I just found one today for Rice Krispie turkey-pops. Totally breaking that one out for American Thanksgiving.
He is so irresistable!
LOVE HIM! LOVE HIM! LOVE HIM!
Our yummy treat table. Gluten-Free included. I am now on day three of Gluten-Free and noticing a HUGE difference! Wowza!
Our cookies. Caleb did a fantastic job measuring, stirring, rolling, cutting out shapes and decorating!
Good turkey meal. Pop takes a nap. I love this tradition too. He and Matthew did the dishes first. He was allowed to sleep!
A Little Extra:
I have done some other baking this month too. I made a rainbow cake for Baby Trey's homecoming. I wasn't thrilled with the outer-decorating (I rarely am...I am working on that) but the inner effect worked great. I was so excited to surprise Heather with it. My first six layer cake! Wahoo.
Pre Icing. It leaned very slightly. I will do better next time.
I borrowed this picture from Heather's blog. You can see the cake effect. I love that she didn't know about the rainbow cake and bought matching hats anyway!
I also made these spider cheesecake cupcakes to take to Waco for the MS Walk. I saw them in a magazine and wanted to give them a try. Since we don't eat much baking (evidenced by the counter full of Thanksgiving Open House leftovers despite many plates sent to friends) I like to take advantage of any opportunity to do something fun and share!
Check back soon. Pumpkin Patch photos are next! It was mucho fun-o! Yeah for October!











No comments:
Post a Comment