Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matt. 19:14

Monday, July 2, 2012

Cute as a Button

Finally. The baby shower post. Promised for months and long overdue. My nephew, baby Matthew, was born last December in Las Vegas; the son of my sister and Brian's brother. My Mom and I started planning the shower when we found out about the pregnancy and got to throw the party at the beginning of March. We did Cute as a Button and had a lot of fun putting it together. Great quality time with my Mom! She hosted the event at her home, which was perfectly decorated for the occassion. I always tell my parents that their home is like a museum: lots of antiques from their parents and grandparents and neat treasures they have collected on their travels. It has the perfect vintage feel. I feel like my party planning is finally starting to equal my vision (does that make sense). I love this stuff! And my Mom is the perfect partner with excellent taste and creativity!



Caleb and his newest cousin (his twice first cousin) for the first time together!
Colleen Sosbee at Sweet Sosbee Designs does all of my invitations! She is amazing at custom work!

The baby shower was the same week as the Spring Sale for Rhea Lana's. 10-14 hour workdays do not make for happy baking...so we ordered a cake with plain white frosting from my favourite bakery, Frost It. We also ordered button chocolote molds online and made our own decorations for the cake. We had to mix some chocoloate colours to get the right shades, but we love how it turned out!


My Mom made these precious favours. Luckily the Easter M&Ms were already in stores. We just bought a few bags and picked out the green, blue and yellow ones to use...the exact right shades!

I couldn't post pictures of all of the elements at the shower, but this is an example of one of the tables we decorated. It is in my Mom's front entry and we used baby Matthew photos and some vintage toys that my Mom has kept around.

I glued some buttons and rafia onto clear plastic cups to jazz them up a bit. One cup had a green button and we had a special prize for whomever ended up with it.

One of the daisy bouquets that my Mom made. She glued buttons onto a few buds and had soothers as a cute detail. LOVE IT!

Same idea as the cake. Frost It made the super delicious cupcakes with blue frosting and we added some button chocolates. I think the effect was very charming. Angie loaned us her amazing cupcake tree and the overall look was EXQUISITE!

The buffet table.  I love how it looks. And the food was perfect and catered to the many allergies of those in attendance (lactose intolerant, gluten-free, diabetic...you name it!).

A close-up on the food table. We included baby pictures of Cara-Lee, Brandon and baby Matthew so we could all compare and see who he looks like.

We cut some ribbon with different patterns and widths to  add a little somethin'-somethin' to my Mom's coffee table. We didn't want to overdecorate and this seemed like the perfect solution. We glued a few cute buttons on the ribbons and voila! We also had a "guess how many buttons are in the jar" game.

My parent's first story was almost completely re-decorated for the shower. My Dad's statues were gone from the mantle and replaced with baby Matthew photos and cute little birds. I made the button garland out of mix-matched scrapbook paper and buttons. Very fun! This picture does not do it justice...if I can say so myself.

The gift table. It ended up very packed with precious baby things!

This is what was hanging from the light over the gift table. I love my cricket!

We also had a photo mat for everyone to sign with well-wishes for baby Matthew and his parents. It also doubled as the guest book.

And of course, Baby Matthew. Precious, precious baby Matthew.

No comments: